I was looking for a high-protein grab and go kind of meal and came across a couple vegetarian "meat"loaf recipes. I combined the two taking out things I didn't like and adding things I did. This is what I came up with:
Vegetarian “Meat”Loaf Muffins
|Todays lunch on top of baby spinach and arugula!|
Makes approx. 19-20 meatloaf muffins
*** NOTE on vegetable – You can buy them pre-chopped in a container at the grocery store. Usually the onion, celery & carrot are together.
· 6 cups vegetable stock
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 2 ½ cups green lentils
· 1 small onion, diced
· 2 carrots, diced
· 2 celery stalks, diced
· 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, diced
· 2 cups brown rice, cooked
· 5 egg whites
· 8 ounces tomato sauce
· 2 teaspoons garlic powder
· 2 teaspoon basil (dried or fresh)
· 2 teaspoon parsley (dried or fresh)
· 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
· ½ teaspoon black pepper
· 1 teaspoon dried chipotle pepper powder
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring vegetable stock to a boil, add green lentils and cook until done according to package.
3. Drain and partially mash lentils.
4. Stir in onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms and brown rice.
5. Add egg, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, seasoning salt, pepper and chipotle pepper.
6. Mix well.
7. Spray two muffin tin trays with non-stick cooking spray. Fill them with meatloaf mix just below the top edge of the tin.
8. Bake for 15 minutes, turn pan, bake for another 10-15 minutes.
9. Remove and cool in pan for about 10 minutes.
10. Run a sharp knife around each meatloaf muffin and gently remove.
Let me know if you make them! Enjoy!